Tuesday, May 18, 2010

“In fact I would like you to give me an overview of everything that happened this afternoon, after Miss Elaine left. I would also like you to tell me who, from downstairs, had the afternoon off and if the victim had fired anyone, from the staff, recently.”
“Certainly sir.” the last word sounded almost as if it was spitted and Stanley realized that the butler had only used it because he could not say what he really wanted, for not being proper. “As for the afternoons off, today had the afternoon free Mrs. Trevelyan’s parlormaid, since she asked her to exchange her day off, and Mr. Trevelyan’s personal man servant. As for the afternoon events , there was nothing worth mentioning. Lady Trevelyan sent a note to Mrs. Martin, Mrs. King and Mrs. Chapman, who had confirmed their arrival for an afternoon tea, to cancel the arrangement, claiming that she did not feel well. She asked me to deliver the cards at the mentioned ladies’ homes and, later, called me to tell me that she was expecting a visit this afternoon. She explained me that it was a gentleman, the person she was expecting, who was to arrive around five o‘clock, and that I was to take him immediately to the sitting room where she was waiting. I should then serve tea, but the table should already be placed when he arrived, of course.”
“And that was what you did?”
“Of course it was, Inspector. I do not know which is the type of your relations, but here we have for an habit to respect and obey our bosses.”
Ignoring the butler’s last remark Stanley continued:
“And at what time did this man leave?”
“I cannot say. When I took him to the room Mrs. Helen told me to retire to the kitchen and not to return unless I was called. She told me to supervise the maids’ work since she had not much confidence in their work.”
“Had not trust in the work of the servants? But were there reasons not to trust them?”
“Inspector, I do not think you had, during your life, much opportunity to socialize with people with a life standard as the Trevelyan family” the disdain arose again to his eyes “but sometimes, both ladies and gentlemen, need some privacy, and any reason that gives them that privacy is acceptable.”
“I understand. And the man? Do you remember him? What he looked like?”
“Frankly I do not remember, Inspector. Not only because I try not to gaze at the family’s guests, for reasons of education and proper conduct” he raised his left eyebrow while looking at Stanley “but also because the man in question had nothing of striking for me to remember. I remember that was relatively high, but not as much as the sargeant. ” and looked at Hardman who, at 6‘4, was really difficult to match in height “He had brown hair and brown eyes ... I think. He was polite… educated.” Gardner said the last sentence as if it would summarize everything that was necessary to know about a man.
“Yes, in deed. He was polite enough to kill your mistress and to leave the house without being seen.”
Hearing Stanley’s last statement Gardner turned pale, as if the idea had not occurred to him before. In fact the butler thought that the only explanation was that a madman, without anyone having noticed, would have entered the room and killed Mrs. Trevelyan after the visitor left and of Gardner himself had gone to open the door to Miss Elaine, and it was that that he tried to convince Stanley, sometimes looking at Hardman in search of support.
“As you will, Mr. Gardner. If you really believe that… But it doesn’t make it any more true just saying it out loud and wishing it. And as for the rest? Was there anyone fired recently?”
“Mrs. Trevelyan did not dismiss anybody.” the answer was not convincing, nor was the look that accompanied it.

No comments:

Post a Comment