Saturday, May 15, 2010

Elaine Trevelyan was seating in the living room, a room in warm shades, and was at the moment absorbed on the sight of the beautifully arranged gardens of the house. Stanley and Hardman stopped at the door to look at her. Elaine, with blond hair and eyes of a darker blue than those of her brother, was, really, a beautiful woman. Small and elegant, the strength shown in her face rejected the sensation of fragility that one might have of her at first sight. Stanley thought, instinctively, that Jack Trevelyan was mistaken to refer to his sister as a sensitive person. Maybe it was what he would like her to be, maybe even idealizing her so, but the stubbornness, obstinacy and personality shown by Elaine could be mistaken by many things, but certainly not sensibility. As if feeling observed, Elaine turned and faced the two police officers and, unlike Gardner, seemed not to see in them the inferior and despicable beings that the butler, obviously, consider them. In a fresh and paused voice, Elaine spoke to the two policemen:
“Good afternoon, officers.” looking to each one of them lowered her head in a sign of compliment “I apologize for not having gone to you when you arrived but I think you will understand that I was not at my best state. Anyway here I am. I hope I can help you.”
Without taking the trouble to rectify her as for his patent Stanley answered:
“Thank you, Miss. It is of a great kindness of your part, as well as your brother‘s, for you to answer some of our questions.”
“My brother …” whispered Elaine “yes, I think that you are right.” in a higher voice “I really was not expecting this reaction from Jack. He doesn’t …” she paused and blushed slightly “like police officers very much. Anyway that is not relevant now. In what can I help you?”
“Stanley... Inspector Stanley. And this is sergeant Hardman. Well Miss, we already know that you were not at home when everything happened, we would like only to know if your sister-in-law would have entrusted you with something, or told you anything about any visit that she would be expecting, or something of the sort…”
“Do you know what, Inspector… Despite living under the same roof, me and my sister-in-law were not in the habit of exchanging confidences. Our personalities were not very compatible. I mean, we never got on badly, but we were not close, do you understand? Helen was a person … different from everyone else. She was not exactly difficult, but did not try to make her company any easier on others. And then, I believe that she would consider me too young for her company and her confidence.”
“I understand. And was there anything strange that you noticed? Did your sister-in-law seem to you, in anyway, agitated or nervous? Was there anything that caught your attention?”
“Now that you mention it, Inspector, there was one thing that really caught my attention. But nothing of that kind, nothing that would change Helen liked that. In fact, maybe it was nothing at all.” noticing the anxious look, of both Stanley and Hardman, continued “It was just that when I went to say goodbye to her, before leaving, as was my habit, specially because I knew that after I left she felt more at ease” Elaine blushed slightly “Helen was reading a letter. She was so absorbed in her reading that at the beginning she did not even hear me. As it is natural I felt a bit curious” Stanley smiled at the euphemism of the expression, since he knew very well the depth of the feminine curiosity “so I glanced at the envelope, as it was on the table. And I thought that it was strange that she would be reading that letter, since I am sure that the envelope had not been delivered by mail in today‘s post. Of that I am sure, because I am in charge of attending to the mail.” as in a confidence, she added “At least it gives me something to distract me of my boring days”
“I see. I understand. But why did you find it strange that the letter was not delivered by post? It might have been delivered the day before and your sister-in-law could be reading it again.”
“It could, indeed, Inspector… Was it not the fact that, once Helen saw me looking at her and after having apologized to me for not having heard, explained to me that she had just received that letter and needed to finish it.”
“I understand.” Stanley remained silent for a moment before continuing “Miss Elaine, I would also like to know, if it is not too abusive of me, where were you this afternoon.”
Elaine opened her eyes a bit more and blushed before looking down and saying:
“Certainly I do not mind, Inspector Stanley. Like every afternoon I went to my best friend’s house, to spend the afternoon in her company. I don’t know if you know her, Miss Emma Carlisle? And, like all afternoons, I only returned in time to get ready for dinner.”

No comments:

Post a Comment