Wednesday, May 12, 2010

“I was coming from a business trip, which forced me to stay in a town a few miles of the capital throughout the day. I was accompanied by Mr. Haley, who I do not believe you know.” and with this comment a slight air of disdain passed through his eyes “It is a quite sonant name of our society and plays, like myself, an important role in Parliament. Before returning I first took him to his home because, since there was no need to take two carriages, we decided that I would take mine and then I would take him home on the way back. You can ask him Inspector, even though I think that there is no need for our police officer to be walking around bothering honest citizens of our society. Surely you have to realize that this whole apparatus could only have been done by a madman.”
“I do not think there is a need for harassing anyone, sir. As I told you, these questions are only being made because we are trying to find something with which we can reach to any conclusions.”
“Yes, I understand Inspector ... but I hope that you also understand that the last thing that my family needs now is to be disturbed, either by the police or the reporters that always follow you, thirsty for blood and scandals. It seems that they have nothing else to do then to follow people looking for sordid affairs to sell to what they call means of information. But it is clear that you are not to blame.” his eyes, up to there a little cold and arrogant, almost gain a little of humility “I would like us to leave the questions for another day. It is not easy to come home and find our dear wife …” Jack Trevelyan, again, did not manage to finish his sentence, covering his face again in his hands.
“Certainly, sir. Now we would like, if you have nothing against it, to speak to your sister, Miss Elaine, who, as we know, lives with you since the death of your parents…”
“Yes, Elaine lives with us … with me. But I think she knows nothing about it. My sister goes out every afternoon to visit her friend, Miss Emma Carlisle, usually returning late. Therefore I think it is unnecessarily to speak with the poor girl. I know beforehand that she was not at home when everything happened.”
“Still, Mr. Trevelyan, maybe your sister has realized something before going out. It would be a great help if we were able talk to her.” the subservient smile and tone of voice had returned to Stanley’s usually serious face.
“So be it. If you really find it necessary.” Jack Trevelyan was trying to hide, with difficulty, the rage that he felt by that the insistence of this unknown man, of a very inferior class to his, and that, even so, was not restricting himself on imposing his will on him “But I warn you, do not upset my sister, and do not bother her unnecessarily, since Elaine is a very nervous and sensitive girl.”
“Of course, Mr. Trevelyan. It is very generous of you to agree that we may speak with Miss Elaine.” Stanley spoke humbly, but Hardman, who was at his side, could not fail to notice the sneering glow of his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment